Tolkien Trail (6.7 miles)
2½ HOUR WALK: War Memorial (opposite Millie's Cafe) >> Warren Fold >> Stonyhurst College Observatory >> Knowle Brow >> Over Hacking Wood >> Hodder Court >> Cromwell Bridge >> River Ribble >> Raid Deep Woods >> Shireburn Arms Car Park
Start War Memorial, Hurst Green
(6.7 miles | 2½ hours)
GPS MAP DIRECTIONS
Click button above to follow walks using Google Maps. You will need GPS LOCATION enabled.
- START AT THE WAR MEMORIAL in the centre of Hurst Green (opposite Millie's Cafe). You will see the sign WARREN FOLD opposite the Memorial - walk [150 METRES] along this road onto the fields. Walk a further [200 METRES] towards SMITHY ROW COTTAGES then turn right. Follow the path [800 METRES] towards Stonyhurst School keeping FOX FALL WOOD on your left.
- STONYHURST CATHOLIC SCHOOL [20 mins from start]: After FOX FALL WOOD go through wooden gate and turn right towards Stonyhurst School OBSERVATORY. Continue along this track [150 METRES] until you reach HALL BARNS FARM. Turn left and walk [600 METRES] towards KNOWLE BROW. Cross the main road and immediately opposite/left follow the farm track [350 METRES] until you reach OVER HACKING WOOD. Now turn RIGHT into the field. Keeping the woods on your left walk [350 METRES] until you reach a gate/stile. Go into the woods and follow path [250 METRES] down to the STONE BRIDGE. Cross the stone bridge and walk up the hill [200 METRES] towards HODDER COURT.
- HODDER COURT [1 hour from start]: Continue past Hodder Court and walk [150 METRES] down towards the RIVER HODDER. Go through gate into field and follow path [1000 METRES] until you reach the main road.
- CROMWELL BRIDGE [1 hour 15 mins from start]: Turn RIGHT at Longridge Road and walk [420 METRES] up to KNOWLES BROW bus stop. Go through the gate opposite the bus stop and walk [200 METRES] towards SPRING WOOD. Keeping the woods on your left walk another [450 METRES] towards PIGGERIES PEN and go through gate. Turn LEFT and walk [500 METRES] down the private road to WINCKLEY HALL FARM - walk through the farm to the River Ribble footpath.
- RIVER RIBBLE FOOTPATH [1 hour 40 mins from start]: Follow river footpath [2000 METRES] to JUMBLES ROCKS (WEIR). Continue along path [1500 METRES] to RAID DEEP WOODS. Walk through gate into woods and follow path [100 METRES] to the small wooden bridge. Finally walk up the field [600 METRES] towards Hurst Green and finish at The Shireburn Arms car park.
- TOTAL WALK TIME: APPROXIMATELY 2½ - 3 HOURS
DOWNLOAD MAP - CLICK HERE
Please note: The Tolkien Trail is not signposted and it is easy to get lost without a map. Download the map onto your phone before starting.
TIP: IF YOU WANT TO MEASURE WALKING BETWEEN POINTS ... ONE LONG STEP = 1 METRE